|The Harbour Masters House is a Grade II listed building built in 1855 by George Smith. It comprises half of the Harbour Masters Office, an impressive brick building with stone dressing, featured in Lord Snowdens (1999) London: Sight Unseen (published by Weidenfeld & Nicholson).
The Office was the centre of control for the collier traffic on the Thames until 1890. The basement flat of the Harbour Masters House is completely self-contained with its own entrance, and is newly refurbished. It was awarded a 4-star rating by the English Tourism Council. The Harbour Masters Office is on the corner of Ballast Quay, an attractive riverside enclave within easy walking distance of historic Greenwich.
It is located upon the popular riverside walk from Greenwich Village to the Dome and is very well-situated for easy access to local amenities including shops, restaurants, pubs, theatre, cinemas, and leisure centres. Excellent transport connections (rail, bus and boat) are all to be found within 10 minutes walk.