|Piddlehinton has records going back to 1068. William the Conqueror gave the manor of Piddlehinton, then known as Hynepuddle and later Honeypuddle, to his half brother Robert of Mortain. During the 100 years’ war in the 1400’s, Henry V confiscated the property of the Mortains’ and gave them to his son, who became Henry VI. Henry VI, the founder of Eton College, gave the village to the foundation and it remained the property of the College for the next 500 years. Most of the village was sold in 1966 and now is in individual ownership. The Deeds to West Lane Cottage show Eton College as original owners of the land.